I found out, a little over two months ago, that my job would be cut, and my contract not extended past March 31. (see this post, where I was optimistic of my travel opportunities still.)
I’ve never been out of work; in fact I’ve rarely worked less than 2 jobs at the same time; so I wasn’t too nervous about making ends meet. I knew that I would always have a job that would keep a roof over my head, and food in my belly. What might have to change, were some choices that I’ve made.
I would have to get a roommate. Living alone is a luxury that I can afford because of the job I currently have. With a cut in pay, there would be no way I could afford the rent on my apartment by myself.
I would have to cut back on travel. I’ve been fortunate indeed, that I have been able to take two trips a year for the past three years. This has been, in part, because I get four weeks of vacation annually – three weeks, that I am encouraged to take in the summer, and an extra week between Christmas and New Years. Another reason would come back to pay. I get paid enough money that, by cutting back on other things (I don’t have a car, I try to use minimal hydro to cut down on my bill, I rarely eat out, etc.) I can save up enough to travel more frequently that some of my other counterparts.
The other sacrifice I would have to make: sell a few of my belongings, give notice on my apartment, and move back in with my mother. That would have made travelling possible, but would seriously have cramped my social life, as my mother lives a good 45 minute drive from…..well, everything.
So there I was, two months ago, faced with the prospect of delaying my trip to Tanzania. I knew that what I had in my fund would have to be put to a more “adult” use – bills. I knew that what I had in my bank account would have to be used for the same purpose. I was still set on going, just perhaps delaying by a year.
In two months, a lot can change. Well, in two months nothing can change, but I was lucky in that it did. The department that I had been teaching at, offered me a casual contract for three months. While this might not sound like the best-case solution (and I will admit, it is not) it is somewhat advantageous.
I had been planning to go to Tanzania in August. As it stands now, my contract is set to finish at the end of June. I can move my trip forward by one month with no problems. I haven’t booked anything, and July means that I will catch the end of the migration in the Serengeti.
I had the fortune of receiving two free tickets to Ottawa’s travel and vacation show two weeks ago (The whole show will be another blog post – it was that cool). I took my mother, and one of the first booths that we stumbled on (once we got through the Europe aisle we seemed to have found ourselves in) was…..Tanzania. (Actually, first was Kenya, then Tanzania. Followed quickly by Côte d’Ivoire, where we were plied with coffee. But I digress)
There was a diplomat from the Tanzanian High Commision, who engaged my mother and myself in conversation. One of his first questions was “When are you planning on visiting my country?” (“Hello, sign!” I said to myself) I talked to him about my plans to visit in July or August, and he gave me several brochures, pampletes, tour books, and not only a business card for the company that they recommend (Zara Tours in case you were wondering) but also his business card. He told me to call if I had any concerns or questions.
From a quick glance at the website, it seems like an ideal company for me to contact. They arrange group Kili climbs, so I wouldn’t have to find a group to join, I would automatically be attached to a pre-arranged group. As well, they organize safaris (two words: camel safari) or trips to Zanzibar. Dealing with one company for all three parts of this trip is, in one sense, appealing. I would only need to deal with one company. No need to worry about contacting another person/company once I am in Tanzania. (On the other hand, if I have a bad experience with them for one part, that might colour my experiences in the rest.)
Now that I know I will be working until at least June, I’m going ahead with this trip. In the next few weeks, I’ll be contacting companies and getting pricing. I’ll be tracking down a good deal on airfare, and I’ll see if I can’t spend a few days on an extended layover in either Dubai, Doha or Addis Ababa, all cities that I might have to fly through to get to Dar Es Salaam.